After a relatively long hiatus, with no new releases since the single-seat FRF-104G Starfighter more than a year ago, Sim Skunk Works has finally unleashed today their latest aircraft for Microsoft Flight Simulator: the SIAI-Marchetti SF.260. Later manufactured by Aermacchi and now under the Leonardo brand, the SF-260 is an Italian light aircraft, widely recognized as a military trainer and aerobatics airplane.
The SF-260 was the brainchild of renowned Italian aircraft designer Stelio Frati. Initially, the production was undertaken by the Milan-based aviation manufacturer Aviamilano. The aircraft took to the skies for the first time on 15 July 1964, bearing the designation F-260. Not long after its maiden flight, production responsibilities were handed over to SIAI Marchetti, following their acquisition of the design rights. The manufacturing baton was passed once again when Aermacchi purchased SIAI Marchetti in 1997.
While the SF.260 primarily found favor with military establishments as a trainer and light combat aircraft, it also made its mark in the civil sector with private operators. In the late 1960s, it was introduced to the US market under the moniker “Waco Meteor.” The armed military variant, the SF.260W Warrior, gained traction with smaller air forces, which equipped and deployed it in close air support roles. Over the years, the aircraft has seen both piston-powered and turboprop-powered iterations.
Sim Skunk Works has now brought this aircraft to Microsoft Flight Simulator, starting with the SF version, but there’s also a planned upgrade encompassing the Enhanced Aircraft (EA) version in the near future.
- A highly detailed and fully animated model.
- An intricate 3D cockpit that’s fully animated and functional.
- Optimized for both single-player and multiplayer modes, ensuring a smooth frame rate.
- High-definition textures with PBR (Physically-Based Rendering).
- Multiple liveries to choose from.
- A paintkit is available upon request for customization.
Systems and Performance:
- Near-real systems, modeled to function just like the actual aircraft.
- Flight dynamics closely mirror the actual aircraft’s performance tables.
The SF.260 is now available for MSFS, priced at 23€ + tax. It should also soon arrive at the MSFS Marketplace, where it’s planned to be available for both PC and Xbox.
MSFS Addons is reader-supported. When you buy through links on this page, we may earn an affiliate commission. Thank you!