MSFS Game of the Year Edition is now available, along with Sim Update 7
Exactly one month after the initial announcement, the GOTY Edition of Microsoft Flight Simulator is now available for all to enjoy. The highlight of this release is definitely the large amount of new and free content, a token of appreciation from the MSFS team after a hugely successful launch last year.
The GOTY edition starts by adding 5 brand new aircraft to the sim, them being:
- Boeing F/A-18 Super Hornet: the first “default” military jet, supposed to come out with the Top Gun: Maverick expansion, but now antecipated due to the delay of the expansion, tied with the release of the movie in 2022.
- VoloCity: a first step towards the official introduction of helicopters in the sim, the VoloCity is a German electric VTOL, a vision of an urban air taxi that may roam our cities in the future. Developed in close partnership with the manufacturer to deliver an authentic experience for MSFS.
- Pilatus PC-6 Porter: an absolute STOL legend, brought to MSFS by Hans Hartmann (who worked in the Aerosoft CRJ, among others) and Alexander Metzger. A hugely capable machine that you can seemingly take anywhere. How will it compare with the brilliant Milviz Porter PC-6?
- CubCrafters NX Cub: mostly a tricycle gear variant of the default X-Cub.
- Aviat Pitts Special S1S: the beautiful Pitts Special, already available in the base airplane collection, gets a single-seat option with this new version.
Besides these new airplanes, MSFS: GOTY Edition also brings 8 new airports across Central Europe and North America, which are as follows:
- Leipzig/Halle Airport (EDDP)
- Allgäu Airport Memmingen (EDJA)
- Kassel Airport (EDVK)
- Lugano Airport (LSZA)
- Zurich Airport (LSZH)
- Luzern-Beromunster Airport (LSZO)
- Patrick Space Force Base (KCOF)
- Marine Corps Air Station Miramar (KNKX)
But there is more! This free update also adds new Discovery Flights in Helsinki, Freiburg im Breisgau, Mecca, Monument Valley, Singapore, and Mount Cook, 14 new tutorials, new photogrammetry cities, a preview mode of DX12, VR controller support, an initial version of a replay system, and a significantly improved weather system!
With the GOTY Edition and the changes introduced with Sim Update 7, the list of new features and changes is long and affects the entire platform. Check the full release notes on the official Flight Simulator blog, and launch MSFS to get this massive FREE update that bumps MSFS to version 18.104.22.168.
As usual, your growing Community folder may generate some incompatibilities with this latest version of the simulator, so make sure to move its contents to a new temporary location if you encounter any issues after updating.