Emerald Scenery Design, the project behind the very popular Emerald Scenery Library (used by many freeware developers on their scenery creations), and EGH2 Forwood Farm, the small airstrip in the UK that was featured in the Got Friends Wilga, has a new standalone airport available for simmers looking to fly in Alaska. 8AK5 Fort Crosby, a small private airstrip near Talkeetna, awaits you with its surprisingly long runway, roaming bears, butterflies, and the striking Alaskan landscapes nearby!
Fort Crosby features a gravel runway, about 1500 feet in length, that comfortably accommodates most General Aviation aircraft. During summer, this gravel strip transforms into a dirt strip, while winter brings a picturesque snow berm build-up along it.
The scenery spans a 2.5 NM² (4.7 KM²) area, dotted with custom-built cabins and houses. Attention to detail is evident in its high-quality textures, with PBR and 4K resolution, and color-matched aerial imagery. The digital elevation model, hand-crafted terraforming, and compatibility with ORBX’s Alaska Mesh add up to a very realistic scenery. The environment is further enhanced by custom ground materials, 3D trees, rocks, logs, and a variety of native shrubs and wildflowers.
- A coverage area of 2.5 NM²/4.7 KM², including multiple custom Cabins and Houses with extra details throughout.
- All model textures done in PBR, up to 4K resolution.
- Color-matched aerial imagery at 30cm/px.
- Digital Elevation Model with hand-crafted terraforming at 2m/px, and fully compatible with ORBX’s Alaska Mesh.
- Custom Gravel and Dirt ground materials with NRM textures for PBR and added detail.
- Custom environmentals including Weeds, Wildflowers, Native Shrubs, 3D Trees, Rocks, and Logs.
- Custom Hangar with dynamic features, interior modeling, environmental occluder, and a parking spawn.
Fort Crosby stands out for its dynamic and interactive features. These include:
- Animated Hangar Door – Triggered to open when your aircraft is parked inside of or just in front of the Hangar.
- Bears – Can be found crossing the runway and roaming the scenery. Will go into hibernation when temperatures fall below freezing.
- Butterflies – Visible around flowers from May through September. Includes 4 different Alaska native variations! Will not show when Rain or Snow is reported.
- Clock – Located on the back wall of the Hangar. Fully functional based on local sim time and plays ticking SFX (Wwise).
- Improved Lighting – Hangar lighting is functional from Dusk-Dawn and while Raining or Snowing.
- Morel Mushrooms – Pop up around the airstrip from May to July. Commonly found around Rocks and Logs.
- Rain Puddles – Appear when Rain has been reported in the area.
- Roof Snow & Icicles – 3D Snow & Icicles will appear on the Hangar Roof at 10℉/-12℃ and below or if it is Snowing and 30℉/-1℃ or below.
- Snow Berms – Snow Berms will appear around the runway at 10℉/-12℃ and below or if it is Snowing and 30℉/-1℃ or below.
- VFX – Smoke and Campfire VFX will appear throughout the scenery once temperatures fall to 50℉/10℃ or below.
Fort Crosby is available now from Emerald Scenery Design directly as well as the MSFS Marketplace, priced at $9.99. Make sure also to install the free Emerald Object Library, which is required for this scenery to display as intended.