Parallel 42 (//42) is out with a new “scene” for Microsoft Flight Simulator. These small sceneries offer a unique ambiance for flight simmers, compared to the broader scope of a larger airport, and aim at providing an immersive patch of land for users to discover and enjoy during their adventures in the backcountry. The latest release in this series is 42HB Hogsback Ranch, in Northern California, and it’s a perfect spot to play around with //42’s Campout!
These “scenes” from //42 are some of the coolest scenery add-ons for MSFS. Not only do they feature highly detailed renditions of real-world-inspired locations, but they also pose a challenge for bush pilots with their small and often unprepared runways. This continues to be the case with the Hogsback Ranch, which comes with a luxurious property that pilots can call home, with a couple of runways right at the front.
As usual from //42, this scene has plenty of interesting content to discover. We might even call some of the features of this scenery to be a kind of easter egg. Note, for example, the INOP Switch Sculpture created by an “artist” named… Saptain Cim. You get the reference, for sure!
If you’re a bush pilot looking for a base to set camp for some bush flying adventures in Northern California, //42’s 42HB Hogsback Ranch may just be the perfect place to spend some time.
42HB Hogsback Ranch is available right now on Orbx, priced at just around $10.
- Runways: 1x 984ft gravel, well maintained, 1x 1043ft dirt, not maintained.
- Helipads: 1x asphalt, poorly maintained.
- Approach Considerations: Recommend inspection pass. Cliffs at both ends.
- Approach Cautions: Buffeting from cliffs on final, low gate at North end of the strip & power lines nearby.
- Lighting: Yes, Solar. Primary residence only, 3 minutes on / 2 minutes off.
- Windsock: Yes, mounted atop hangar at residence and atop Depot.
- Parking: Some
- Services: Fuel stored on-site at Depot in barrels. Hand pump only.
- Amenities: Swimming pool, hangar, stables, off road vehicles & campsites with immaculate views.
- Multiple objects and hazards on approach or near runway contain collision boxes.
- Challenging approach onto a short and narrow strip atop a cliff.
- Custom terraforming in the region for max visual effect.
- Custom vegetation assets.
- Custom 3D library of on-ground assets.
- Custom stone fire rings sized specifically for //42 Campout Utility campfires at key locations for sunsets.
- Hangar w/working hydraulic door features custom sounds.
- Interior of property modeled to a level ideal for all systems.
- Stables on site feature horses w/custom sounds.
- Custom night lighting all around the property, including pool.
- Floating doughnut in swimming pool, will it ever touch the corner?
- Study level bollards
- INOP Switch Sculpture by artist Saptain Cim
- Ideally located for Northern California Backcountry bush trip adventures.