New Year, new airplanes! Third-party developers are very active on this first week of 2022. The first day of the year saw the release of the Discus-2c glider from Got Friends, then yesterday it was Indiafoxtecho with its F-35, and Aerosoft has also finally unveiled the release date of its long-awaited Twin Otter. Today, it’s Aeroplane Heaven’s turn, with the release of the Grumman F3F-2, a fat-looking biplane fighter that was actually deceptively fast!
The Grumman F3F-2 is coming a little later than promised, given that Aeroplane Heaven said it would be out for Christmas. In any case, it’s here now, just a few days later, and it seems to be quite an interesting package!
The Grumman F3F-2 was affectionately nick-named as “The Flying Barrel”, due to its shubby looks. This was due to the use of the massive Wright Cyclone radial engine, which powered the F3F-2 up to 255 mph with a service ceiling of nearly 34.000 feet. Despite its looks, the F3F-2 was actually quite fast and nimble, as reported by pilots. It’s capable of lifting off the ground in just 200 feet!
Altough the F3F-2 ended up being replaced by the much more successfull F4F Wildcat in wartime operations (also coming to MSFS soon), it was still used as a trainer throughout WWII.
Aeroplane Heaven is promising a high-fidelity version of the F3F-2 for MSFS, with high-quality models and attention to detail throughout the whole package, including a WWise sound package and special coding to improve tail-dragger behavior in the simulator.
You will find 7 authentic liveries in this package, including the “GulfHawk II” as flown by Major Alford “Al” Williams, a special built F3F-1 with improved aerobatic capabilities that can currently be seen on display at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum.
The Aeroplane Heaven Grumman F3F-2 is now available directly from the developer’s website, priced at $28.99. Other vendors should also get the airplane soon.
A handy user-manual is also available as a free download, to get you acquainted with the airplane and its systems.
- All new hi-fidelity models with superb detail including modelled rivets and overlapping panels.
- Beautifully crafted exterior and interior models built over contemporary detailed plans and drawings
- Authentic cockpit detail includes many bespoke animations and effects.
- Full PBR materials and textures include realistic “pillowing” of metal surfaces.
- Animated authentic U.S. military pilot figure
- Specially animated, realistic undercarriage operation.
- Choice of electric or cartridge start.
- Highly accurate flight dynamics and perfomance based on real flight tests.
- Specially authored WWise Hi-Fidelity sound package.
- Unique code to “iron” out poor simulator tail-dragger performance.
7 AUTHENTIC LIVERIES
The package includes a variety of colourful liveries from pre-war fighter squadrons:
- VF-6 BU1033 aboard “WASP”
- VF-6 BU0986 aboard “ENTERPRISE”
- VF-4 BU0810 aboard “LEXINGTON”
- VMF-2 BU0976 aboard “SARATOGA”
- US Navy fighter trainer from 1942
- BU0972 U.S.Army Air Corps
- “GulfHawk II” as flown by “Al” Williams