Keeping up with the planned product roadmap for 2022, Orbx has released another installment in the Landmarks City Packs series for Microsoft Flight Simulator. This time, it’s Panama City and the nearby world-famous Panama Canal that gets the attention of Orbx’s developers.
Panama Canal is one of the most difficult engineering projects ever undertaken and a hugely important one for the world’s economy and transportation of goods. By allowing ships to cut thousands of kilometers in the crossing between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, Panama Canal has proven to be a successful undertaking, but with a dramatic history behind it: more than 25.000 people are estimated to have died during the construction works that spanned for 30 years.
As such an expansive and impressive project, the Panama Canal can best be appreciated from the air, and now you can do just that, thanks to Orbx’s Landmarks Panama. In this new add-on for Microsoft Flight Simulator, Orbx has re-created the five locks of the Canal, but also the Centennial and Atlantic bridges and more than 50 types of vessels traversing the waterway. Along the 81km of the Canal, you will find a wide variety of supporting buildings and structures.
Orbx’s work goes beyond the Canal itself, ending with the striking Panama City and its many highrises. More than 60 landmarks have been added to the city, from modern towers like the Bellagio and Grand Tower to historic buildings, stadiums, and monuments. All with custom night lighting based on real-world photos.
As usual, to polish things up, Orbx reworked the base scenery with improved placement of buildings and vegetation, custom aerial imagery, and terraforming. With Landmarks Panama, Orbx hopes to provide simmers with the opportunity to explore one of the most impressive projects in the history of mankind.
Landmarks Panama City Pack is now available from Orbx Direct, priced at $9.90 | €8,73.
Looking to know what Orbx is up to for the remainder of the year? Check the company’s product roadmap for 2022, which will bring a variety of scenery add-ons and also a few aircraft!
- All five canal lock groups, modeled in high detail, from the Cocilo Locks on the Pacific coast to Gatun Locks on the Atlantic side.
- Historic and administrative canal buildings and monuments, plus the Agua Clara Locks Visitor Center.
- Special focus on the approaches to the canal, including container, oil, and cruise terminals, control towers.
- More than 50 different types of static vessels, placed throughout the canal and port areas.
- Detailed models of the Centennial Bridge and Atlantic Bridge, crossing the canal.
- Custom landmarks in Panama City include the historic Casco Viejo district, as well as modern towers such as Bellagio and The Grand Tower.
- More than 60 medium-detail custom buildings of Panama City: highrises, museums, government buildings, stadiums, etc.
- Several buildings with rooftop helipads, with additional landing areas on vessels throughout the canal.
- Animated features and special effects on both water and land.
- Custom orthoimagery for downtown Panama City and the north and south ends of the canal.
- Many enhancements throughout the coverage area: improved vegetation and building placements, extensive terraforming, and shoreline adjustments.
- Custom night lighting based on real-world photography.