Canadian pilots in Toronto are in for a treat this week, with the imminent availability of two impressively detailed re-creations of Pearson Airport (CYYZ) for Microsoft Flight Simulator. RegDesigns has just released its version, after announcing it just a few days ago. Curiously, Flytampa is now out today with some news as well, stating that its own version of Toronto airport will be released in just a day or two.
But let’s start with RegDesigns, which is a smaller team that, despite being recently established, already proved its talent in scenery design for MSFS. CYYZ appears to be no exception, with a very detailed rendition of this big airport, in what is the team’s largest project yet.
RegDesigns is now selling CYYZ Toronto Pearson airport through its website, with a nice bonus bundled with it. CNC4 Guelph Airpark is offered for free with the download, so you’re effectively getting two airports for the price of one. At $18.95, it’s not that expensive either!
Interestingly, this release appears to have triggered FlyTampa to come to the front with their own version of CYYZ. FlyTampa is obviously much more known than RegDesigns, with a long history of development for multiple flight simulator platforms and years of a proven track record supporting their products. Now, FlyTampa reveals that they will release Toronto Airport for MSFS in just a few days.
FlyTampa previews its rendition of CYYZ, showing the team’s typical attention to detail.
While it’s inevitable that some simmers already bought RegDesigns version, it may be worth waiting a few days to see how both versions will compare. At first glance, it seems like a decision that can’t go wrong, but you may have some preference given the particular specifications of each product.
Check below the full feature list for RegDesigns CYYZ. In the meantime, stay tuned for a release note about FlyTampa’s version.
RegDesigns CYYZ main features:
- Accurate replica of Toronto Lester B. Pearson International Airport
- Accurate modelling from original images, personal experiences, aerial photography, and other sources
- PBR texturing
- Custom animated jetways
- Accurate terminal interiors
- Custom animated objects
- Custom ground textures and markings
- Correct runway elevations (per CFS)
- Common roads around airfield modeled
- Nearby trenches and fields modeled
- Airport lighting (per CFS)
- 3D Glass
- Custom night lighting with emissive night textures
- Highly detailed airport environment
- Correct PAPI angles
- Hangar interiors
- Default ATC and AI compatible
- Plane spotting area at end of 23
- More (RegDesigns high standard of detail and fidelity)