At long last, after more than a year in development, the Aerosoft Twin Otter is now finally available for Microsoft Flight Simulator. The rugged and very capable STOL aircraft has been teased countless times over the last 17 months but, today, this bird is finally out for all to enjoy.
Aerosoft is offering a rather comprehensive package with its Twin Otter for MSFS. Included are the original 100 model and the improved and more popular 300 series. Besides, there’s a variety of different passenger and cargo configurations, with skies, tundra tires, and floats, so you have many options to set up the Twin Otter to your liking.
The Twin Otter is a beloved Aerosoft classic, with a long and honorable life in FSX, and it’s now coming to MSFS completely built from the ground up. Aerosoft decided to take advantage of the latest technologies available in the new simulator to recreate the Twin Otter for the modern age. This means, for example, that this model makes extensive use of decals, instead of specific high-resolution textures, for improved visuals at all distances and better graphical performance.
One of the highlights of this new Twin Otter is the complex icing simulation on almost all surfaces. This visual feature, along with the functional de-icing systems for the probes and wings, should help to create a very immersive environment in the challenging conditions where the Twin Otter often operates: for example, in Antarctica.
Interestingly, the Twin Otter is also a very popular choice near the tropics. The current largest operator of the aircraft is Trans Maldivian Airways, with an extensive fleet of floating Twin Otters that provide seaplane transfer services across many resorts in the islands. This is, obviously, one of the 13 combinations of models and liveries offered by Aerosoft.
The Twin Otter’s capabilities need no introduction. Despite being an old plane, first introduced in the 1960s, this remains an extremely capable machine, an absolute go-anywhere, do-anything airplane that is able to operate in the most remote locations, landing on solid runways or in mudflats, sand, water, and snow. It is, therefore, a very compelling aircraft to explore the stunning world of MSFS!
The Aerosoft Twin Otter is now available for €29.95 / $34.99 (plus applicable tax). (Update – It’s also available in the MSFS Marketplace, but for PC only. Aerosoft says the airplane is ready for Xbox, but it’s up to Microsoft to release it.)
- Full new development using all options of the platform
- Highly optimized modelling, prepared for use on PC and Xbox
- Wwise sound set with close to 300 spatially placed sounds
- Full use of decals to save on texture memory, very light on system resources
- Complex icing modelled on almost all surfaces and functional de-icing systems including electrical de-icing for probes and de-icing boots for leading edge
- Fully featured fuel systems (updated when MSFS adds more features)
- High-definition flight models for each model
- No additional navigation database needed
- MSFS checklists implemented
- Complete avionics stack (all compatible with available tweaks):
- Garmin 530 all-in-one GPS/Nav/Comm solution
- Garmin 430 all-in-one GPS/Nav/Comm solution
- Bendix/King KR-87 ADF Receiver
- Bendix/King KT-76C Transponder
- Bendix/King KAP140 Autopilot
- Intercontinental Altitude Alerter
- Collins 913K Autopilot Controller (used as repeater for the KAP140)
- Bendix/King KMA Audio Selector
- Collins FD-112V Flight Director
- Thirteen models:
- DHC6-100 Floats Passenger (Westcoast Air C-FGQH)
- DHC6-100 Wheels Cargo (Norway Airforce MXJ_67-062)
- DHC6-100_Wheels Passenger (Fuerza Aerea de chile 940)
- DHC6-300 Amphibian Passenger (Viking Air N153QS)
- DHC6-300 Floats Passenger (Trans Maldivian 8Q-TJM)
- DHC6-300 Floats Passenger Short Nose (Trans Maldivian 8Q-MAV)
- DHC6-300 Ski Cargo (British Antarctica Survey VP-FBB)
- DHC6-300 Tundra Wheels Cargo (Air Inuit C-GKCJ)
- DHC6-300 Tundra Wheels Passenger (Norlandair TF-NLC)
- DHC6-300 Wheels Cargo 3 Blade Prop (Aklak Air C-CDHC)
- DHC6-300 Wheels Cargo 4 Blade Prop (Aklak Air C-CDHC)
- DHC6-300 Wheels Skydiver (Perris Valley Skydiving N-708PV)
- DHC6-300 Wheels Passenger (Solomons Airline H4-FNT)
MSFS Addons is reader-supported. When you buy through links on this page, we may earn an affiliate commission. Thank you!