The G1000 Mod from Working Title (WT) has been a favorite among GA pilots, who find this freeware modification to be much improved over the default G1000 avionics in MSFS. After the recent announcement of a formal partnership between Working Title and the Flight Simulator team, it became clear that the folks from WT would be working closely with the simulator’s creators to improve the stock avionics in MSFS. This partnership now seems to be coming to fruition with the release of an early access version of the Garmin G1000 NXi, which will eventually become the default G1000 in MSFS.
Now available as a free download from the built-in Marketplace in MSFS, the G1000 NXi effectively replaces the prior freeware mod that has been available until now, so make sure to remove that one from your Community folder before installing this new NXi version. After installation, it shows up in every stock airplane that uses the G1000 system, namely: the Cirrus SR22, Diamond DA40NG and DA62, Baron G58, Bonanza G36, Cessna 172 and the Grand Caravan.
Being still in an early access stage, expect to see bugs and missing features, but WT promises to issue weekly or bi-weekly updates to this package, which will hopefully squash any existing bugs and add new features. Make sure to send feedback to the team if you find any issues!
As a teaser, WT released a preview video showing the G1000 NXi going through the challenging RNP 19 approach to KDCA (Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport). Here we take a sneak-peak into some of the features of the G1000 NXi, such as the VNV profile display, VPTH, HSI map on the PFD and other really cool features. It’s a great showcase of some of the capabilities of the NXi and its autopilot.
The G1000 NXi adds a huge list of welcome features to the glass cockpit, which you can learn more about below. Some highlights are the completely overhauled flight planning system, an impressive real-time flight path vector system based on current speed and conditions that matches the real unit, and much more.
The Working Title G1000 NXi is now available for free, exclusively through the MSFS Marketplace.
- Completely overhauled flight plan management system supporting all 23 ARINC 424 leg types
- New flyable leg types include RF, procedure turns, DME arcs, and more
- Full real time flight path vectorization and on-map visualization matching the real unit
- Full support of direct-to with proper matching behavior and waypoint sequencing
- Automatic and authentic NAV CDI scaling depending on flight phase (Departure, Terminal, APPR, LPV, etc.)
- Inputting waypoints can be done by keyboard by clicking the input field, and exited from keyboard mode by clicking anywhere else
- Full VNAV path navigation simulation with correct VPTH arm and active behavior
- Correct vertical deviation indications for VNV active profile deviation, GP, and GS
- Accurate VNAV path calculation from vectorized plan includes path guidance through turns and arcs
- Provides vertical guidance from loaded procedures such as departures, arrivals, approaches
- Full simulation of RNAV LPV approaches including angular distance CDI scaling
- Glideslope/Glidepath preview to easily transition from VNAV descent into approach.
- Selectable between artificial horizon and synthetic vision
- Avilable inset or HSI map
- All wind overlay modes
- HSI may be set to layout in standard or HSI map modes
- V-speed bugs pulled from aircraft cfg data
- Timer/Ref page with count-up/countdown timer and V-Speed input
- Baro minimums
- Bearing pointers
- Nearest airports (Allows easy direct-to and radio tuning capabilities)
- Select HPA or IN for altimeter units
- Standard BARO option
- Improved engine instrument displays (Still WIP)
- Active VNV Profile pane on MFD flight plan page with realtime updates
- Waypoint Info page with map layer to visualize fix before selection
Flight Plan Screens
- Full support for waypoint input with available waypoint details
- Procedure selection with accurate leg parsing and waypoint deduplication
- Flight plan menu with ability to activate leg, delet plan, invert plan, and remove procedures
- Entirely revamped high performance map system
- Authentic collision based waypoint label culling system for auto-declutter
- Brand new waypoint, navigation fix, and airport icons
- Highly accurate TOD and BOD marker placement
- Airspace rendering
- Automatically identifies localizers and VORs when tuned in.