Citation CJ4 mod by Working Title – improved avionics and flight model
Here’s a another super interesting mod that aims to improve one of the default aircraft in MSFS. This time it’s the Citation CJ4 to get the treatment. Working Title, a new dev team composed of several people, some of them real world pilots, has released their latest beta version of the mod, v0.6.0, with many new features, for a seriously improved aircraft.
The team is focusing on improving both the avionics and flight model. The 3D model will remain the default, for the moment. The focus is to bring the aircraft to a much more realistic state, with major functional and visual changes in the FMS, PFD, MFD, lights and sounds. Right now it’s even possible to import a flight plan directly from Simbrief, which is really helpful!
The CJ4 is available as a free download from the team’s GitHub. Also, make sure to keep up with development at the official Discord.
Here’s a video showcasing the main features:
Here are the current key features:
- FMS – Rockwell Collins Pro Line 21 represented at over 75% accuracy
- Over 40 screens/pages of the FMS have been developed
- Route planning complete with departure and arrival procedures, airways and direct waypoints, including many procedures and procedure types missing from the default aircraft
- Performance init pages including complete takeoff and approach performance calculations, with field lengths and Vspeeds
- Custom developed and implemented a flight plan import directly from Simbrief via the FMS, allowing users to spawn without a flight plan, then load a Simbrief OFP/Flight Plan directly over the web (requires internet connection); this feature also makes it easier to fly multiple legs without exiting the simulation session
- Improved performance of FMS by streamlining data access behind the code
- Added custom mechanism for saving and storing default settings to remain persistent between sim sessions
- Added transponder functionality and completely redesigned the TUN page for radio tuning
- PFD/MFD – Major functional and visual enhancements
- Custom font, sizing and coloring introduced to PFD and MFD to improve readability and accuracy of displays
- Customized Vspeeds and visibility behavior to reflect the real aircraft
- Adjusted the display of data, the visibility of the AoA and other functions to match the real world
- Added complete, tracked and stepable checklists to the MFD
- Added passenger briefing menu and announcement playing to the MFD
- Added capability to customize the MFD display and use the PLAN view to step through flight plan via the MFD ADV and DSPL MENU functions on the FMS
- Added bearing pointer functionality
- Rebuilt pitch trim gauge because it was reversed and mislabeled in the default model
- Flight Model
- Adjusted engines to reflect real world performance, including the elimination of reverse thrust.
- Adjusted fuel flow with a custom fuel flow utility that accurately tracks and reports fuel usage reflective of real aircraft performance
- Tweaked autopilot performance, gear/flap/spoiler drag and other QoL improvements on the flight characteristics
- Lights & Sounds
- Enhanced exterior lighting, including volumetric lights
- Enhanced interior lighting, including cabin lights with adjustable dim level (controlled through our custom MOD SETTINGS menu in the FMS)
- Enhanced and growing soundset, including fans and passenger briefings
- Cockpit Model
- Added lighting and functionality to many buttons and knobs in the cockpit model.
Remember to also checkout other similar projects for other aircraft: FlyByWire’s A32NX and Salty Simulations 747.
I’ve tried to fly the CJ4 v0.8.1 – 5 times now, and each to time I get a CTD. Others don’t get this problem. What am I doing wrong?
I have Win 10 pro, i5 4690 running MSFS on a fast SSD. No problems with other planes on the same routes. Also the default CJ4 flies ok.