Just Flight’s Hawk T1/A gets its first update with a long list of fixes and improvements
The Just Flight T1/A Advanced Trainer landed in aplomb in Microsoft Flight Simulator, universally acclaimed as one of the best airplanes yet by a third-party developer. That didn’t stop Just Flight from quickly trying to fix the issues that have been reported and even implementing some welcome improvements across the board, which are being introduced today through the first available update.
This update arrives with a slight delay, after being initially expected to be available last week. Just a minor detail in what is effectively a major revision of the Hawk, taking it from v0.1 to v1.1 with a long list of changes, so much so that Just Flight decided to highlight some of them in a dedicated video showcasing some of the new features introduced with this update.
A notable change relates to the included EFB, which has a new default position above the right console, much easier for VR pilots to use. A simple click in the tablet’s bezel toggles its position between the console and the previous placement on the ejection seat. The EFB now also displays outside air temperature, and includes a handy control button that quickly swaps between front and rear cockpit views.
With this first update, the Hawk also gets fuel drop tanks for improved range, but be careful not to exceed the maximum allowed takeoff and landing weights. A nice visual feature is also the addition of wingtip vortices, a new effect that is affected by temperature, pressure, AOA and speed. There are also new camera views that simulate the ones that are usually seen on real-world videos.
These and many additional changes are listed on the update release notes, which we reproduce below for your convenience. They are also available on Just Flight’s support page.
To get this new version of the Hawk, you need to re-download the package from wherever you bought it, and then enjoy the new and improved Hawk T1/A.
v1.1 Release Notes:
– Frequency pre-set cards go white if lock control mode is used – fixed
– Red Arrows 2021 livery minor alignment issues – fixed
– MASS click spot logic improved
– Co-pilot camera view tweaked for VR users
– Outer sidewinders now fire before inner sidewinders if both are fitted
– EFB tablet can now be toggled between two positions for better usability in VR – ejection seat (as before) or above the right console – using a click spot on the outer edge (bezel) of the EFB tablet.
– EFB tablet will now move between the front and rear cockpits automatically when the corresponding cockpit is selected from the camera menu
– ‘TOGGLE PEDESTAL LIGHTS (red)/TOGGLE TAXI LIGHTS (white)/TOGGLE CABIN LIGHTS (blue)’ and ‘SET PEDESTAL LIGHTS (red)/SET TAXI LIGHTS (white)/SET CABIN LIGHTS (blue)’ control assignments can now be used to toggle the Red Arrows smoke colours
– Front or rear seat pilot is now visible whilst in the cockpit view (pilot being shown is toggled automatically based on whether the front or rear seat camera is selected)
– EFB control (front/rear) button will now switch you automatically between the front and rear cockpit camera views (can also be selected using the ‘TOGGLE AUTOPILOT VS HOLD’ and ‘SET AUTOPILOT VS HOLD’ control assignments)
– ‘TOGGLE ENGINE 1 FUEL VALVE’ and ‘SET ENGINE 1 FUEL VALVE’ control assignments can now be used to control the throttle idle stop lever position
– ILS frequency selector click spot highlights fixed (now only the selector wheel is highlighted)
– New cockpit showcase camera pre-sets added (front pilot looking aft, over front pilot shoulder, over front pilot ejection seat, over left and right wings)
– Cockpit lighting brightness reduced for night flying operations
– EFB rear pilot option is now automatically enabled or disabled if changes are made to the co-pilot weight value in the MSFS fuel/payload menu
– OAT is now shown on the top bar of the EFB (Fahrenheit or Celsius depending on selected MSFS unit of measure)
– 100 Imp Gal (454 L) drop tank option added for longer range flights. Note that in real-life these were fitted to export variants and not the RAF Hawk T1/A. The drop tank fuel feeds automatically through the wing tanks and to the engine. Make sure to check the total weight on the EFB as it’s easy to exceed the take-off and landing weight limits with two drop tanks and full fuel!
– Pilot head movement is now affected by rudder/steering position on the ground
– EFB VR click spot fixed
– Pilot name decal texture added, allowing you to have your own name showing on the Red Arrows 2021 custom livery (PSD template included in Documents folder)
– Red Arrow flight suits are now red
– Crew steps are now automatically removed at engine start (if not already removed manually)
– UHF checklist item fixed
I- f selected down in the cockpit, gear will now automatically extend again if slew is used (which forces the gear up)
– EFB instrument view zoom level fixed
– Autopilot approach hold fixed
– Wingtip vortices effects added (thanks to FLAMIN FENIX)
– CWS warnings can now be cancelled using the ‘GPWS TOGGLE’ control assignment
– Fuel now initialises to full wing and centre tanks
– EFB weight text brightness increased for better readability
– Autopilot performance tweaks
– Sound tweaks (including increased AI sound volume and new buffeting noise at higher speeds)
– TACAN channel list added to MSFS checklist window
– Stopwatch added to left frequency pre-set card in both cockpits – centre knob controls stop/start and is rotated for winding it up (winding it up 100% provides approx. 90 minutes use), right knob controls reset. The stopwatch can be raised/lowered by clicking on the stopwatch itself or the nearby glareshield light (mounted beneath the glareshield to the left of the frequency pre-set card).
– Radio power issue when starting from cold & dark – fixed
– Main altimeter drum now increments by 50 feet
– Oil CWP caption now illuminates after 10 seconds of negative-G
– Pilot visor transparency increased
– Tweaks to emergency gear and flap extension systems
– Green HSI arrow will now indicate bearing to TACANs (custom logic added to work around MSFS limitation)
– Centre fuel tank now empties fully when transferring to the wing tanks