Update, June 11: As expected, Orbx didn’t take long to release this. Landmarks Cape Town is now available through Orbx Direct!
Orbx continues to expand its Landmarks series with new locations around the world. Following up on the planned roadmap for this year, the Australian studio announced today the next installment in this series: Cape Town, South Africa’s oldest city.
Cape Town is located in a geographical position that gives the city a unique look, more so than the downtown and its high-rise buildings. Nested between the Atlantic Ocean and the iconic Table Mountain, Cape Town is home to nearly 4 million people today.
As usual with this product series from Orbx, the city’s main landmarks have been rebuilt with realism in mind, extending from the tallest downtown buildings to the vessels, docks and cranes on the harbor basin. Expect to see a rich landscape, where the modern and the old architecture live side by side.
Orbx is also including some memorable spots outside the city, such as the infamous former prison on Robben Island, or the University of Cape Town near Table Mountain. In total, we are looking at around 110 custom landmarks all around the location.
Orbx is usually very quick to launch a product after an initial preview, so expect Landmarks Cape Town to be out very soon. In the meantime, make sure to check the gorgeous preview images that were shared by the studio, or indulge on some sightseeing in other locations of this series such as Sydney, Singapore, or Paris!
- Several high-detail custom landmarks including the Cape Town Stadium, Castle of Good Hope, and University of Cape Town
- More than 110 medium-detail custom landmarks, balancing quality and performance.
- Many enhancements to the city and surrounding areas: improved vegetation and building placements, industrial areas and power stations, chimneys, etc.
- Specific focus on the harbour areas, with a with diversity of custom vessels and port infrastructure
- Extensive terraforming across the coverage area, enhancing how our custom landmarks sit within the simulator’s terrain
- Custom orthoimagery covering all of the city from the western bays to Rondebosch in the east
- Custom night lighting based on real-world photography
- Anti-poaching campaign “laser” rhino projected onto Table Mountain at night (selectable with control panel)