Microsoft Flight Simulator is a very significant improvement across the board in comparison with the previous version of the simulator. But if there’s one thing that seems like didn’t change much it’s the ATC functionality. We know the developers are working on it (and today there were actually some hints about improvements in coming patches), but realism is definitely lacking.
Today we share with you a simple tool that aims to improve the immersion when using the in-game ATC. FS-ATC-Chatter is a collection of real ATC audio clips, that can be played directly inside MSFS with the included standalone player. It’s the result of a collaboration with LiveATC.net, and in its free version includes over 400 clips from the United States. However, for $15.00, you can purchase the entire collection of over 24.000 audio clips from all over the world.
The audio player is smart and can select the proper clip type based on the active frequencies in MSFS. This definitely adds a certain level of immersion, as you go about your business while listening to realistic chatter between other aircraft and the tower. Unfortunately, at this time, the system is unable to know when the in-game ATC is talking, so they can both overlap each other from time to time. According to the developer, a request as already been made to Asobo in order to add some functionality to Simconnect that would allow external tools to know when the MSFS ATC is trying to talk.
Here are the main characteristics of the audio clips:
- Clips are broken down into separate files each of which represents a single exchange between a pilot and an ATC facility such as Clearance, Ground, Tower, Departure, Center, Approach, and for VFR CTAF.
- The separate files for each exchange allows Pilot2ATC or the stand alone player to insert pauses between playback allowing for you to interact naturally with ATC.
- The clips are categorized by world region so you can install a collection of clips for the area of the world you are flying in. Version 1.0.0 has the following file counts by region:
- United States: 7,237
- Europe: 5,681
- Canada: 4,884
- South America: 102
- Asia: 3,988
- Africa: 32
- Oceania: 2,576
- Clips are edited to remove any glaring location specific information. As an example the exchange “United 6626, Boston Tower, Line up and Wait” will have been edited to say “United 6626, Tower, Line up and Wait. References to specific SIDS, STARS, Ramps, Taxiways, Runways, and way-points are not changed.
- Clips are organized by controller so when you are tuned to a specific controller type on your radio you will hear clips associated with that controller.
- Each clip has its audio volume adjusted so that all clips have roughly the same volume level.
Check the video below to see how it works:
Don’t forget to check our Freeware section for the best free addons for Microsoft Flight Simulator!